Saturday, December 20, 2014

holiday essentials guide


After being on the road for five days in New Zealand, sleeping in a different bed every night & soon realising how incredibly tiresome it can be having to haul all of your things with you, I've come to appreciate the lessons I have learnt, and the little things I had with me that totally saved my bacon on the road.

1. Protecting yourself is paramount

I know this might sound a little obvious, but doing something as simple as putting on suncream or wearing a shady hat can be easily forgotten when you're in the midst of holiday endorphins. I've learnt (or rather the man friend has) the hard way of being in the sun. Whilst NZ's sun isn't nearly as harsh as Australia's sun, it's something to always be aware of. One minute you're sitting in the car enjoying the breeze, next thing you're gawking at red, sore skin.

For me, it's more about the sun protection on my face underneath my make up. In Australia, we easily need 30+ SPF sun protection at any given time, and trying to find a make up friendly sunscreen is difficult, as typically it's very oily and makes your skin greasy - which is fine for at the beach but not when you're trying to put your foundation on and it's sliding down your chin!

The Clinique Super City Block has been fantastic for my holiday, where I'm not wearing as much make up on the road, but still need some protection. This cream is great for wearing under make up and leaves no greasy residue, which is a huge bonus.

2. Get a decent pair of sunglasses

Again, living in a country where skin cancer and sun damage is high, it's a necessity to protect yourself from the elements. The last pair of good quality sunglasses I had were a pair of Le Specs, and they lasted me a good few years before I bought some cheap pairs. Of course they were fine for fashionable use, but they weren't doing my eyes any favours. Before I went away, I stopped by Sunglass Hut and picked up a pair of Rayban Clubmasters and I love them. 

Good quality shades will pay themselves back in spades - despite their cost, they will last you years, protect you from sun damage, and most importantly, protect your eyes. 

3. Be comfortable - in everything

I'm the kind of person that brings everything but the kitchen sink when I go travelling - I always have this moment of panic where I think 'but what if I need that??' to them promptly pack it, and then regret it later for taking up space. In theory I try to be space conscious, but in reality I overpack on clothes and shoes all the time. Being on the road for 5 days straight showed me how important it is to dress comfortably, especially when you're sitting in a confined space - whether it's a bus, plane, train, or car - be comfortable. I've been favouring loose tank tops (as shown from Supre) and my favourite jeans for those long periods of time sitting.

4. Wear good shoes

Getting blisters & sore feet are the bane of my existence, and yet I am so picky with my shoes that it's no wonder I get sore feet. 
I came across the Nike Rosheruns & loved them, not to mention I can wear socks with them and can be considerably more comfortable. These are great for casual wear - wear them with a cute long maxi dress or tshirt dress, or black jeans & easy top.

5. Keep it simple & keep it easy to reach

Being crammed in a car means a limited amount of space to spread yourself out in. I've found keeping the essentials in an easy case, like sunscreen, lip balm, phone chargers, bobby pins, etc. This quilted make up case from ASOS is perfectly sized to keep you from putting unnecessary things inside. 

Keeping in theme with cases and storage, I am loving this new Mimco Packable Weekender. I love all things Mimco, and this weekender bag is the most perfect size - it fits my laptop, magazines, my clutch and other bits and pieces that I'll readily need compared to all the stuff in my bigger suitcase. 




I hope this holiday essentials guide has come in handy & some pearls of travelling wisdom have been taken away.

x



No comments :

Post a Comment