Monday, April 20, 2015

office chic


Open Front Trench Coat - Glassons
Sleeveless High Low Top - Sussan
Ankle Zip Capri Pants - Glassons
Textured Boxy Shell Top - Target
Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette - Mecca Maxima
Carla Ballet Flat - Witchery

My days are suddenly going to get busier, as I now am working full time in a permanent design role. To say I'm excited about it is a total understatement.

For me, getting this job is more than just a paycheck at the end of the month - it's given me a purpose, a solid reason to get out of bed in the morning, to keep to my schedule, and to work harder than I ever have before. For the last 8 months or so I have been drifting from one thing to another, and whilst this wasn't always a bad thing, at the end of the day, I never really felt like I had accomplished what I wanted to do. Being a freelance graphic designer means many things - it means that ultimately, I am my own boss and am responsible for what I do in a day. It also means no week is the same, and work is something I am constantly looking for, whether it be on the same day or in the coming months. Having to be constantly looking ahead was sometimes daunting and overwhelming, but in the end it gave me more reason to be proactive, and to try harder.

The safety of having a full time permanent job is something I didn't fully appreciate until after I graduated from my degree - and now it's something I will work so much harder for now that I have it.

With a new job, comes new clothing. And shoes. And sensible make up. Over the last month I have been stocking up on some office ready, neutral pieces, as well as accessories. I have been LOVING the emergence of grey knitwear from Sussan - their high neck knits are so chic.

In creating more office ready looks, I have been looking for simple black trousers, paired with classy black flats & a nude overcoat - Glassons has been my one stop shop for black pants and overcoats that are so flowy and beautiful. Mecca Maxima has been all over my radar with the recent Urban Decay launch, so of course I stocked up on some palettes - the Naked Basics palette is so wearable and amazing quality.

To tie in with my recent purchases, here are some tips on creating a neutral and classic wardrobe:

1. Statement piece 101 - if you cannot imagine at least three other outfits a piece will go with, then reconsider it.

At the end of the day, you want something you can wear with almost everything - with a crisp skirt and heels, or jeans and comfy flats. I am (horrendously) guilty of buying a piece of clothing, telling myself that it'll go with everything, only then to get it home and wear it with one or two other pieces. In the end, your money is wasted on something that isn't versatile, and versatility should be a key element into all decisions made regarding clothing, especially if it's high priced. Go for something you can wear to the office within a dressed up look, as well as wear it on your weekends.

I try and gravitate towards things that are wearable, neutral, and classic, that will end up being worn a few times a week. I see trends in stores and most of them are hits and misses for me - I see bold prints or looks that are trending and think to myself, am I going to want to wear that in a couple month's time? Is it something I can see myself wearing in a number of different ways with different things? Is it purely on trend right now? Is it a trend I even genuinely like? 

You are not always going to answer all these questions, and if you really love a trend or an item, it's within your budget, and it's something you're going to wear in the coming seasons, then go for it! But see it as a long term investment, not a short term project. Your money is hard earned, don't make it easily spent.

2. Be neutral.

I'll be honest - a neutral palette isn't for everyone, and that's okay. Your own sense of style and dress sense is unique to you, however for my own taste, classic tones of black, white, grey, and denim are all I need in my wardrobe. The same goes for me for make up - I don't ever go for bold colours, I stick to natural colours similar to my own skin tone to accentuate, not aggravate. 

Neutrals carry across all seasons - a nude overcoat, long black slim trousers, a grey knitted tunic, black flats, dark denim, black or grey maxi dress, black biker boots - the list goes on! Neutrals are easy, and if you want to add some colour to your look, accessories are your best friends.

3. Consider investment pieces rather than quick fixes.

Again, I am super guilty of this - my friend Clarissa calls me out on this constantly, which I am so grateful for. I have wasted money on clothes, bags, shoes (oh my god, especially shoes!) and accessories that are cheap and nasty, and don't last at all. Don't get me wrong - there is NOTHING wrong with being budget savvy, and getting a bargain is awesome. But look for quality and longevity, not purchases that will last you 15 minutes of wear. Research into brands with credibility - and more often than not, the price tag will reflect that. I'm not saying go out and buy a whole new wardrobe from David Jones - you can buy good quality pieces without the high end price tag, and during a sale, that's the time to buy. If you can hold out until that jacket you've been eyeing off for ages comes down a little in price, it'll be worth it.

Some of my favourite places to look for pieces that are quality and sometimes budget savvy include: Sussan, Target, Witchery, Cue, Myer, David Jones, Glassons, Mimco, Wittner, Nine West - just to name a few.

I hope you've enjoyed my little tips into making a neutral and investment focused wardrobe.

x

No comments :

Post a Comment